Sunday, October 31, 2010

Make Sure You're Covered

My college has an insurance plan that you can sign up for, or you can use your family’s insurance. I chose to stick with my family’s insurance. I thought, “Why get a different insurance when I already have a good plan?” Well, I found out the answer to that question last week when I shut my finger in my dorm room door. I went to the wellness center, the on-campus doctors’ office, and showed them my swollen finger. The doctor suggested I get an x-ray as soon as possible. My insurance plan did not cover an x-ray at the hospital closest to my school because it was out of our network. I probably should have looked into that before I chose not to get the insurance the school offered. I had to wait until the next day to drive home and go to the hospital that was in my network. My finger was only a bad sprain but I would have saved myself a lot of time and frustration if I had compared the school insurance to my insurance more closely.
Whether you are clumsy, like me, or not I would look closely at all of your insurance options. I was lucky that my finger wasn’t more badly injured and I was able to drive myself home.  I suggest you ask your parents or someone you trust about the insurance plan that would be best for you. Make sure you’re covered by your insurance just in case something goes wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment